Sunday, February 10, 2013


I haven't posted in a coon's age because SmallDaughter decided to make life...interesting. By climbing up and getting a bottle of lamp oil (the refined kerosene type) off the top of the refrigerator, and drinking it. We immediately called 911, and she got to spend several days in the hospital, and another week recovering. Now that I have done more research, I know how scared I should have been! I was worried about her stomach and esophagus being damaged--but the really scary part is learning how dangerous it is for the lungs (I didn't know I needed to worry about her lungs!).  

Here is a little sample of the reading I have been doing  (I underlined my favorite panic inducing statements!):
"Hydrocarbons ranked sixth in substances most frequently involved in human exposures reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers National Data Collection System in 1988. Roughly half of these cases involved children under the age of 6. This is not surprising in view of the fact that hydrocarbon-based products are commonly found in the home. With adults, gasoline siphoning or deliberate inhalation (“huffing”) appear to be the major sources of accidental hydrocarbon exposure.

Symptoms of aliphatic hydrocarbon ingestion, in the absence of toxic substituents, are confined to the gastrointestinal tract and the respiratory tract. Local effects include a burning sensation in the mouth and pharynx, nausea, gastric irritation, belching and diarrhea. These rarely require treatment and are considered fairly innocuous.

Pulmonary effects, when they do occur, are the result of aspiration. A severe necrotizing pneumonitis, with direct tissue destruction, can occur. Aspiration can occur at the time of ingestion, or during vomiting or gastric lavage. Aspiration can occur from minute amounts of hydrocarbon. Pulmonary toxicity represents the most common complication of hydrocarbon ingestion and accounts for the majority of fatalities.

When aspiration occurs, the patient may initially experience coughing, choking, gagging or grunting respirations.

X-ray findings are usually significant at two to eight hours after ingestion. Pulmonary infiltrates or perihilar densities have commonly been seen. Following aspiration, deterioration of the patient may occur over the first 24-72 hours, with resolution of symptoms in three to six days. Bacterial superinfection is also possible. Hemorrhagic edema can rapidly lead to the patient's demise.

Aspiration of aliphatic hydrocarbons may result in lethargy, tremors, and, rarely, convulsions or coma. These effects are more likely due to severe pulmonary injury or hypoxia."

So many scary things!

However--she is back up and around, and I am feeling SO blessed!

So, I am going to try to be better about posting...but (sorry!) no promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment