Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Books!

I have read more non-fiction in the last few months than in the whole rest of my life combined (probably). Some was dull, some had a few sparkling bits in the dross, and a few have just been excellent. Three I recommend (and boy, do they cover the spectrum!):

"Garlic & Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichl. This was such a fun read--as good as well written fiction, lots of plot twists-BUT--Caution: It will make you HUNGRY! It is about Ruth becoming the food critic at the New York Times, and the lengths she would go to to provide accurate reports. Very fun!

"The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century" by Edward Dolnick. It is the story of a mediocre artist who managed to fool the world and the psychology he used to do it.

But one of the best books I have read lately is very short, but wonderfully sweet--
"The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor" by Amy Hollingsworth. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it had some wonderful treasures for my heart, for where I am at right now, and for how to become who I want to be.

I have had big plans all week about the awesome blogs I want to post--but BigGirl (poor, poor thing!) had a stomach bug and threw up every half hour, all night long, and we are both exhausted--and I am going back to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment