Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quick Update

I am preparing to drive out to Idaho for my Grammy's funeral, so there will not be much in the way of posting this week.

However, in brief updates, I just wanted to mention how fab-fab-fabbity FAB Christmas was. Not so much because of "stuff" (although, in a nice twist on the tradition of "I give really thoughtful gifts, but don't actually get much given TO me"--with the year that I asked for sparkly earrings and got a FRYING PAN as a record low, I got some awesomely thoughtful gifts!!)but because of the people and the traditions. It was peace-full, and joyous, and I managed not to get wierd and crazy over anything.

New Year's Eve was spent in a fun (to satisfy me) and quiet (to satisfy My Favorite Gentleman, who maintains a party pooper attitude--in the words of our then-three-year-old daughter "my daddy poops parties!")--we stayed home with our good family friends and played "Michigan Bankroll"--a game with wild and ever changing rules!

And the highlight of my new year--Rock Day (One of the lesser holidays!). Rock Day is celebrated by spinners and weavers all over the world. It is "the day after Twelfthday, when, the Christmas holidays being over, women returned to their rock or distaff." (Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894)
What that means: The day after the religious observance of Christmas was over, and women returned to their regular work. However, it turned into a party, and it still is! I went and worked on projects with the awesome people of the Spinners & Weavers Guild--and a cooler group of people you will NEVER find! Yummy potluck, interesting conversation, neat projects, just AWESOME!

When I get back I will post some pix of some of the projects I have finally finished--I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment