Saturday, June 27, 2015

Chicken!

The last week has been taken up with all the myriad tasks of getting my whole flock of chickens 1) butchered, 2) cooked and boned, 3) canned.

Suffice it to say, I will not be eating chicken anytime soon! I am not sure if it is economically any cheaper, but I really do like knowing that they lived a happy life, and that I know EXACTLY what is in the food I am giving my family (at least where the chicken is concerned!)

We decided that this would be the best course to pursue, since I will be doing a lot of traveling this summer, and this way I won't have to find someone to take care of them. They were also getting older and laying less, which did influence my decision! We will be getting new pullets (young hens that are just beginning to lay) in August or September. I figured it out and, even at $10 each, it will be cheaper than buying chicks and feeding them all summer, plus, once again--no caretaker arrangements (I will miss the cuteness, though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment